Before you head outside this Memorial Day, stock up on sunscreen. Here to help you make the right choices for protecting your skin from damaging rays, the Environmental Working Group has released this year’s list of the best and worst sunscreens for kids. Here’s what to avoid and what to buy for the kids.
- Banana Boat Kids Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 100 – EWG says it “provides moderate UVA protection” but has a poor balance of UVA protection in relation to the SPF. And they warn against using SPF levels over 50 because they’re not protecting us that much more.
- Coppertone Foaming Lotion Sunscreen Kids Wacky Foam, SPF 70 – This one contains retinyl palmitate, a chemical which can actually damage sun-exposed skin. So you could end up hurting your kid instead of protecting her.
- Banana Boat Kids Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 100 – EWG estimates the SPF of this stuff is much less than they claim. They caution, “SPF values above 50 offers a false sense of security.” Plus it contains oxybenzone, a chemical that disrupts hormones.
- Coppertone Sunscreen Continuous Spray Kids, SPF 70 – Sprays don’t always cover completely and they pose an inhalation risk, according to EWG.
- Coppertone Kids Sunscreen Stick, SPF 55 – EWG claims this scores poorly and it also has that hormone disrupting chemical, oxybenzone.
- All Good Kid’s Sunscreen, SPF 30 – It’s made with organic green tea extract and rose hips, and it’s GMO free, gluten-free, paraben-free, vegan, PABA-free.
- Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sensitive Skin Lotion Sunscreen, SPF 50 – This sunscreen is made with natural oatmeal and mineral zinc oxide.
- Blue Lizard Australian SUNSCREEN, SPF 30+ – EWG says this one has a good balance of UVA protection in relation to SPF and it’s paraben-, fragrance-, and chemical-free, in addition to being gentle on sensitive skin.
- Episencial Babytime Sunny Sunscreen – Pediatricians developed this top choice and it’s lightweight, has no petroleum, fragrance, harsh chemicals, or gluten.
- Adorable Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+ – EWG says this is one of the best you can buy because it provides excellent UVA protection and an excellent balance of UVA protection compared to the SPF. And it’s made with safe ingredients, so even though it’s pricey, it’s worth it.
Check out the complete list here.
Source: The Stir